Firework Safety Tips
Firework Safety Tips
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fireworks start an average of 18,500 fires per year, causing 3 deaths, 40 injuries and about $43 million in damage. Even sparklers can be unsafe; they account for about 25 percent of fireworks injuries seen in emergency rooms.
The National Council on Fireworks Safety has released a list of recommended safety tips for the upcoming holiday.
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting any firework.
- A responsible adult should supervise all firework activities at all times.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save the drinks for after you put on the show!
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks outdoors in a clear area, away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Instead, wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Always have a bucket of water and water hose nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
- Never shoot fireworks into metal or glass containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
Don’t forget about your pets’ safety on the Fourth of July and do not bring them to a fireworks display. And if fireworks are being lit near your home, put your pet in a safe, interior room in your home to avoid as much noise as possible for them.
Remember that injuries are preventable. The NFPA recommends consumers that want to see fireworks should enjoy a public show put on by experts.
ABOUT US: ComRes, Inc has been providing telecommunications services since 1988. ComRes is a leading installer of Mitel 200 ICP and 3300 ICP telephone systems in Fort Lauderdale, Miami, W. Palm Beach, Florida. In addition to Mitel, ComRes sells and installs Avaya and Iwatsu telecommunications systems, low voltage voice and data cabling, fiber solutions, wireless telecommunications and data products, and Voice over IP (VoIP) services. ComRes, Inc is a fully licensed and insured limited energy contractor. For more information, please call us at (954) 462-9600 or visit us online at comresusa.com.